- Playground Updates+
Our new playground is almost there. We have had a few delays due to the illness of contractors and issues around materials, however, the contractors have continued to push through and we are very hopeful that early next week we should be good to go.
We never plan any major works during term time, however, we either made the choice to halt the work when students returned to school or continue until the finish. To not continue would have actually created a potential risk for longer so the decision was made to get it finished, have a clear risk assessment, ensure all aspects of safety were taken into account, and regularly monitor and check the area.
The students have been amazing during this time. We have had no issues with regards to accessing the area, more an interesting curiosity about who the contractors are, what is being made, and when can they finally use it.
And a big thank you to our new Facilities Manager, Ian Westall, who has been on top of the project, managed any issues quickly and effectively, and ensured the safety of the area throughout.
Hopefully this time next week I will be sharing with you the finished playground.
- Summer works+
We have had another busy summer and I would like to give huge thanks to all the Abbot’s Lea staff who worked over the summer and helped us achieve all our tasks on time. Everyone helped out with anything and everything that was asked of them, an absolutely amazing team effort. We had so much going on which included:
- Replacement of the gas pipes across the school site
- Upgrade of radiators and covers in 12 classrooms.
- Replacement of thermostats and one of our boilers
- Additional id badge door access across the site to improve security
- Additional cameras across the site (including the car park) to improve security
- Replacement of flooring where needed.
- New storage created in Early Years and Therapy block
- New office space created to accommodate new staff
- Refresh of paint work across the site
- Replacement of fencing and gates were necessary
- Improved resources for the school kitchen
- New student spaces created
- Many other smaller tasks across the site to make the school as ready as possible for when staff and students returned
In addition, we will have 3 of our quiet rooms being upgraded over the forthcoming months, new perimeter fencing installed (awaiting planning permission), and an additional log cabin area created to maximise use of space on the site for the students.
We also have other outdoor projects on the go, as we continue our drive to make the school the best it can be.